What if I'm not happy with my LAC

Ask the staff at My Choice Matters a question or rumour you have heard about the NDIS. If we don't know the answer straight away we will research and find out for you.
Pat

What if I'm not happy with my LAC

Postby Pat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:10 am

What if I want a different LAC? What can I do, am I stuck with them?

RRussell

Re: What if I'm not happy with my LAC

Postby RRussell » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 pm

Hello Pat
It is extremely important for a person to feel comfortable with the Local Area Coordinator (LAC) that is conducting their NDIS planning meeting.Considering the personal and sensitive information that will be shared, this is a basic right. If for some reason this is not the case a person can request to meet with another LAC. In the first instance I would suggest contacting the relevant organisation, it may be St Vincent de Paul or Uniting (or in country areas it could be Intereach or other orgs)to see if they can simply "swap" LACs for you. If they don't feel they can do this for you the next step would be to contact the NDIA (National Disability Insurance Agency)and request and NDIA planner to conduct the meeting for you.
I feel that it is important to draw to your attention that this will all take additional time and that people may try to discourage you from asking for another LAC. My advice is to "push back" if you are not happy with your initial LAC and to remember that it is your right to do just that. The NDIS is a person centred scheme and the agency should be responsive to an individual's preferences.
Stay strong!
Robyn

Return to “Ask a Question”